Sunday, April 1, 2012

Graffiti tunnel in Center City

Ever hear of the Reading Viaduct? Neither did I, until I came across a post by a few guys who took some pictures of an underground abandoned railroad track with some really cool graffiti. I couldn't help myself I just had to find this location. After hours of looking up the location on Google maps and trying to figure out what the heck the Reading Viaduct was I finally came across some key information. I found numerous sites that explained what the Viaduct was and where it was located. I found out that the Viaduct was  used by center city Philadelphia in the 1890s for railroad transportation and ran 10 blocks from Callowhill and Chinatown North as well as Vine Stree and Fairmount Ave. The Viaduct was used to transpot things from what is now the Philadelphia Convention Center by 12th and Market. It was shut down in 1984 and the remaining tunnels and tracks are still below city grounds.
After walking nearly 3 hours trying to search for this graffiti location I found myself unsuccessful, wandering around in circles and climbing fences for what I believed to be the underground graffiti tunnel. It wasn't until I decided to follow part of what I saw to be the end of the tunnel, from 16th and spring garden all the way to the end of the ART MUSEM by Kelly drive that I finally discovered the hidden treasure. It was hiding below the surface at the end of a dog park. I climbed through a pryed open gate, followed the dirt down to the tunnel and TA-DA! There is was in all it's beauty. :)
The only thing I wasn't prepared for was the huge amount of darkness and the dangers of not knowing where to walk. PLEASE, if YOU FIND THIS LOCATION BE CAREFUL! I FELL AND BANGED MYSELF UP PRETTY BAD TAKING THESE PHOTOS. Most are done in pitch black with a flash.  STILL WORTH EXPLORING IF YOU CAN! ENJOY :)



















































































No comments:

Post a Comment