Sunday, February 5, 2012

Graffitti Exploration #UNO

     I started enjoying various street art at a young age. It wasn't until my early teens that I found myself skimming over the glossy cover of Juxtapoz Magazine, flipping through the various graffiti creations by names like "Bansky", "Mr.Mucho", "Gaia""Lady Pink" and "Obey".  I remember stopping to the creased centerfold of one particular artist. All I could make out was a huge block of colorful lettering and a tiny figure the size of an ant, placed like an alienated figure in the center. "SABER" ( or SABER-ONE), was the name of the artist as well as what was spelled for his LA River Piece . I discovered that the overwhelmingly 250'x 50'( nearly the size of a football field) sized tag, took him nearly one and a half years to finish and is one of only two of the largest illegal street art pieces ever done with rollers and paint.
   After doing more research, I found that SABER is an artist based out of LA but has done pieces all over the U.S. some even created in my own city, Philadelphia PA.
    SABER is just one of many artists who does large scale graffiti usually words or pictures painted an magnanimous array of colors usually reflecting his political support for the revolution of Egypt through social justice of the U.S. in order to create world peace. 

THE DESTRUCTION OF SABER'S LA RIVER PIECE!
      After trying a year to create my own graffiti art and reading more into the culture I realized I wanted to document and investigate this type of art in my own way. I wanted to find a way to preserve graffiti art that you may see one day and completely miss the next. As a major in documentary film, I decided to create a blog dedicated to graffiti art culture in Philadelphia PA. Every week I hope to document through video and picture Philadelphia street art and share graffiti to a larger audience before it is completely washed away.

“Graffiti is one of the few tools you have if you have almost nothing. And even if you don't come up with a picture to cure world poverty you can make someone smile while they're having a piss.”
Banksy, Banging Your Head Against a Brick Wall
 
 First Graffiti Exploration
1) 12th and Carpenter (behind Philadelphia High school of Creative and Preforming Arts). 2) 20thd Chestnut street 3)18s 20th street (next to JFK Blvd)






















No comments:

Post a Comment