Sunday, February 26, 2012

Graffiti exploration: West Philly

  Waking up rather late on this Sunday morning, I decided that all  my days of traveling in and out of the city by train during the week really gives me an itch to get out and photograph all the graffiti I stare at through the smudged plexi-glass window's of the train. I never get to stop and really enjoy the graffiti itself. 
  So today, I was going to find and photograph all the graffiti I could and get as close to the train tracks as possible.
  I pulled my best friend out of bed and the two of us hopped in her Toyota Rav 4 and decided to follow Septa (train service) Regional Rail Route R5 line, (local to Paoil/Thorndale, PA) from Ardmore PA which goes through West Philly by car on Lancater ave,all the way down to center city.
 The reason why I chose this specific route is because this railine ran next to Lancaster avenue the only road that ran from Philadelphia all the way to Lancater PA. Also, this is the same train I take to get to and from my house to Philadelphia everyday. I was always awed by the amount of graffiti that lined the tracks, it was easy to occupy my 30 minuet train ride just by staring out the window. It was icandy, a puzzle I liked to untangle in my mind. Everything about train track graffiti, the colors, the saying, the fonts and tags. 
  As we got closer to center city we decided it would be best to park as close to the tracks as possible in a nice parking lot and walk to take pictures of the graffiti. At first we started around 51st and Lancater, where we found a slight opening and carefully climbed up the tracks to take pictures of some of the graffiti. After our adventures in West Philly, we ventured in more to 30th street and the Schuykill River.
This is what we found.


















No comments:

Post a Comment